Conduct School Tours
We need tour guides to show prospective Oxford families around the school on Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:30–9:30 am between mid-November and the end of January! Sign up on the Membership ToolKit (MTK)!
Tour guides will take visiting groups to classrooms, specifically kindergarten, as well as the playground, cafeteria, library, and any other places of interest. Principal Beth Rhine will provide some general information about the school—you don’t have to know everything about Oxford to lead a tour, just be welcoming and friendly. When you finish at 9:30, you will bring the visitors to a location, probably the Library, for a Q&A with Beth. You can stay for that part of the tour if you want, but it’s not necessary.
Help with Fundraisers and Events
The PTA holds many fun special events where you can get involved deeply or lightly just when you have the time. This is a great way to both build community and help raise the additional funds it takes to make Oxford the great school it is. Here are just a few of the things you might do:
- Help organize an all-school event or project
- Make flyers, signs, and posters
- Count raffle tickets
Sign up to volunteer at the Membership ToolKit (MTK) today! More about some of the volunteer roles follows.
Become a Room Parent
Each classroom has one or more room parents who work closely with the teacher and act as a liaison to the other parents in that classroom. They help organize other parents to volunteer for classroom and special school events, such as field trips, the Harvest Fair and Winter Fair, Halloween parties, etc. The room parent may also help the teacher with calendars, email lists and phone trees.
Get Involved in the Classroom and the Community
Parents and guardians, let your child’s teacher know that you are interested in helping out, or check in with the PTA, office or other school committee about your ideas, interests, skills or time available. Together, we can make a huge difference for all of the children of Oxford! Here are some suggestions on how to get involved:
- Volunteer in your child’s class or at another grade level
- Email about volunteering to help with tech instruction
- Attend or help organize the monthly PTA meetings
- Help your child’s teacher prepare class materials
- Offer to work one-on-one with a child who needs extra help
- Join the PTA Grants Committee to help raise funds
- Join the School Governance Council to add your voice to spending decisions
- Let the school secretary know you’re available to assist with school office tasks or first aid
- Contribute content for the website
- Geek out as a web/blog editor
- Help keep Oxford’s Google calendar current
- Chaperone a field trip
- And more…
Not an Oxford Parent or Guardian?
If you’re a community member who’s not a parent or guardian of a current Oxford student, but you’re looking to get involved, check out the Berkeley Public Schools Fund Volunteer Program.