Classroom Visitor Procedures for BUSD
IT IS REQUIRED THAT ALL VISITORS REGISTER IN THE OFFICE AND RECEIVE APPROVAL TO BE PRESENT ON THE SCHOOL SITE CAMPUS
(Ed Code: 32210, 32211, 44810,44811, 49091.10, 51101, 51512)
(Penal Code: 626.6, 626.7,627-627.2, 415.5)
To ensure the safety of our students and staff and to prevent undue interruption of instruction, all visitors to the campus must follow the procedures below:
- Approval of a site administrator or designee must be obtained at least 36 hours before observing a class.
- Frequency of observations will be reasonable so as not to disrupt classroom instruction.
- Frequency may be limited at the principal or designee’s discretion.
- All visitors must check in at the office and wear a visitor badge before proceeding to the classroom.
- At the discretion of the principal or designee, a school or district employee may accompany the visitor.
- Observations are limited to no more than 30 minutes. Exceptions may be made at the principal or designee’s discretion.
- While in the classroom:
- Observe quietly. Avoid talking to or disrupting students and teacher.
- Do not move about the classroom as this is distracting to students and teacher.
- Interact with the students only if the teacher has agreed to such contact before the observation.
- If more than one person is observing at a time, please avoid conversations until outside the classroom.
- The observation is not to be used as an opportunity to conference with the teacher. If the visitor desires discussion with the teacher on the day of the observation, a conference appointment may be prearranged with the teacher before the observation date.
- Students’ rights of confidentiality must be observed at all times.
- If observation becomes a disruption to classroom instruction, the visitor will be asked to leave.
- Visitation rights may be limited if the observation becomes a disruption to the students and/or the teacher.